Chief of Police
City of Brooklet, GA
Post Until: October 31, 2014
The City of Brooklet, Georgia is seeking an experienced law enforcement administrator with exceptional leadership abilities, management experience, and interpersonal skills to take on the leadership of the City Police Department. The successful candidate must possess a proven background in implementing forward-thinking, proactive policies and be committed to training, professional development and community engagement. A demonstrated history of successful partnerships with other municipalities, law enforcement agencies and other public safety agencies is required. Candidates must have excellent management skills, a proven ability to inspire confidence, and bring a strong record of achievement in public safety, community policing, and drug enforcement.
The Police Chief is appointed by the City Council and reports to the City Council Department Head for Police Services. In addition to the Chief of Police, the Brooklet Police Department has three fulltime sworn officers and an annual operating budget of $250,000.
About Brooklet, Georgia
Brooklet is home to approximately 1,400 people, 68 businesses and covers approximately 3.4 square miles. The town is conveniently located along Highway 80, is 10 minutes east of Statesboro and Georgia Southern University, and about an hour west of Savannah and the Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport.
Brooklet is known for its quiet rural setting, friendly town stores, and annual Peanut Festival. The Brooklet Community Development Association hosts the Annual Peanut Festival every August. The event has been going strong for 25 years and typically draws 15,000+ people to the town for the one-day event.
Candidates must meet the following qualifications:
- Minimum 5 years POST Certified Police Officer experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice, Business or Public Administration, Psychology, or related field from an accredited college or university. Master’s degree preferred.
- Demonstrated progressive advancement in police leadership and management.
- 5 years or more additional experience may be substituted for degree requirement.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Georgia P.O.S.T. Peace Officer Certification at the time of employment.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Georgia Driver’s License.
- Must have no record of any felony conviction or conviction of any kind involving violence against another person or violence where a weapon was involved.
Salary range is $38,000 - $42,000 annually and is commensurate with experience. In addition, a competitive benefits package is included (e.g., health insurance, retirement, sick and vacation time, uniform allowance, etc.).
As a condition of employment, applicants should be prepared for a background check that may include any or all of the following: polygraph exam, a psychological exam, a physical exam with drug screening, an in-depth background investigation, fingerprint/criminal history check via GCIC, driver’s license check via DMVS, credit history check; and a complete POST review.
Resumes, with cover letter expressing interest in position, may be submitted by:
Chief of Police Search
Brooklet City Hall
104 Church Street
Brooklet, GA 30415
- In Person to Brooklet City Hall
Resumes should include names and phone number of at least three (3) professional references. Inquiries should be directed to BrookletPDSearch@gmail.com.
Applications must be received by the close of business on OCTOBER 31, 2014.
For full job description, visit the City’s website at www.brookletga.us.
Chief of Police, City of Metter
Post Until: November 14, 2014
The city of Metter, located 63 miles northwest of Savannah, Georgia and 102 miles southeast of Macon, Georgia, is currently seeking a proven professional for the position of Chief of Police. According to the 2010 Census, the city of Metter has a population of 4,100 people. The Chief of Police is responsible for two (2) CID officers, ten (10) full-time sworn officers, and one administrative assistant and answers to the City Manager.
The successful applicant must possess strong communication, leadership, organization, and modern management skills, as well as proven integrity in working with members of both the community and the police department. The candidate must have comprehensive knowledge of current issues in police management and the principles of public administration, knowledge of laws and ordinances pertaining to constitutional, statutory and procedural law and civil liability. In addition, the candidate must possess the ability to organize, direct, and control police affairs consistent with the requirements of federal/state laws, local municipal codes, and local ordinance.
The position requires a four-year college degree and ten or more years of employment in a law enforcement field; five or more years employment in administrative/supervisory/command experience. Experience may be considered in lieu of education. The applicant must be POST Certified in the State of Georgia. Selected candidate must successfully complete pre-employment background check and drug-screen. Metter maintains a drug free workplace.
Applications, job description and pay scale are available at City Hall. Applicants may submit their application to:
Joseph M. Mosley, AICP, City Manager
P.O. Box 74, Metter, GA 30439.
The deadline to submit an application is Friday, November 14, 2014.
The City of Metter is an equal opportunity employer.
Assistant Chief- Canton Police Department
City of Canton, Georgia
The City of Canton is the county seat of Cherokee County, located approximately 20 miles north of Atlanta, Georgia, along Interstate-575. As of the 2010 census, the City had a population of 22,958 and encompasses 14.3 square miles. The City of Canton is governed by a Mayor and six (6) Council Members, who are elected at large by city residents. The term of office is every four (4) years. The City Manager is the Administrative Executive for the City of Canton and is directly responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of all City departments. The City Manager is appointed by the Mayor and City Council.
The City of Canton’s downtown historic district has been renovated and revitalized. The Historic Canton Theatre on Main Street features plays and other special events throughout the year, injecting new life into the downtown business district. Streets in the downtown area have been improved, as part of the “Streetscapes” program, bringing brick pavers to sidewalks, historic lamp posts, lush landscaping and intersection upgrades.
Canton Police Department
The Canton Police Department is a state certified law enforcement agency. The Department has a total of fifty-three (53) employees. There are forty-seven (47) sworn police officers and six (6) civilians who support the operations of the department. The Department has three (3) divisions- Administration, Uniform Patrol and Special Operations under the direct supervision and leadership of the Assistant Chief. The Department has an annual operating budget of 4.7 million dollars.
The Assistant Chief reports directly to the Chief of Police and assists in the planning, organization and administering a comprehensive program to provide leadership and direction to the Police Department’s operations and personnel. The Assistant Chief is responsible for supervising and managing the operations and activities of the Administrative, Special Operations and Uniform Patrol Divisions.
- Ensures the Department adheres to a community-oriented policing strategy that supports the police mission and emphasizes a positive and proactive approach to improving the quality of life for the residents;
- Directs and evaluates assigned supervisory personnel to include directing work, counseling, disciplining and preparing/reviewing required performance evaluations;
- Evaluates the performance of all work units and establishes reasonable and measurable standards of acceptable performance;
- Prepares written recommendations to the Chief of Police on personnel matters, i.e., formal discipline, transfers, training requests, etc;
- Assists in preparing and administrating the Department’s budget, to include reviewing purchase orders, authorizing overtime and monitoring expenditures to ensure compliance with approved budget;
- Determines the staffing and scheduling needs of the various divisions and ensures minimum staffing levels are maintained for each work unit;
- Serves as the chairperson on the Policy Review Committee. Participates in the review and/or development of policies, protocols, etc., providing direction to employees regarding appropriate application of written directives, rules and regulations, standard operating procedures, etc.;
- Assumes command of personnel at the scene of major or critical incidents, special events, etc., requiring the commitment of significant agency resources;
- Assists in developing the Department’s goals, conducts meetings with supervisors to discuss progress, submits quarterly updates and completes a final report;
- Assists in revising and/or updating the Department’s Capital Improvement Plan;
- Serves as the chairperson on the Employee Selection Committee. Assists in applicant recruiting, screening and interviewing. Reviews background investigations and makes hiring recommendations;
- Reviews and recommends personnel and resources needed for Special Event Permits;
- Assists in coordinating the Department’s emergency management response to include policy development, coordination of agency resources and readiness for all types of man-made or natural disaster;
- Reviews and recommends an in-service training schedule, approves instructor lesson plans and evaluates effectiveness of training program;
- Assists in analyzing data concerning crime, traffic accidents, repeat calls for service, using information obtained from department databases or outside agencies, to assist in the utilization of resources, deployment of personnel and direction of operations through the use of intelligence, statistical or analytical data necessary for such decisions;
- Prepares, reviews and/or responds to all division correspondence, disseminates information relevant to the day-to-day operations of these work units and returns improper or incomplete reports, documents, etc., for correction;
- Reviews the release of information, i.e., reports, e-mails, Press Releases, etc., to the news media concerning departmental activities or affairs;
- Prepares and submits required documents, reports, memorandums, etc., required by the State’s Certification Program to demonstrate proof of compliance for mandated standards;
- Attends meetings, seminars and training sessions to remain knowledgeable of departmental and City operations, to improve job performance and to stay current with changing policies, procedures and criminal/civil case law.
Minimum Education required:
Bachelor’s degree in police administration, criminal justice or public administration from an accredited college or university.
Minimum Experience required:
Ten (10) years of progressively responsible leadership experience in the field of law enforcement, attained a supervisory position of Lieutenant or above and Georgia POST certified.
Special consideration will be given for a Master’s Degree and/or completion of advanced leadership training such as the FBI National Academy, Southern Police Institute, Georgia Command College, comparable executive level training or any combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job or meets the needs of the department.
Applicants who have an extensive knowledge in community policing, strategic planning, early warning tracking programs, capital improvement planning and/or a background in Emergency Management, are desirable.
Applicants will need to complete the City of Canton Employment Application available at www.canton-georgia.com. The position is posted under Employment Center. The application, along with a cover letter, resume and three references must be received before close of business on November 24, 2014.
Conditions of Employment:
Consideration for employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background investigation, physical and psychological exams and a drug test.
Canton Police Department
UNIFIED GOVERNMENT OF ATHENS-CLARKE COUNTY
WARDEN / DIRECTOR
$68,318 – $100,000 Annual Salary (DOQ)
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice, Public Administration, Business Administration or related field required with six years in law enforcement/corrections work involving progressive responsibility or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job. Six years of supervisory experience is required. This position requires ability to meet current certification requirements set forth in the Georgia Basic Correctional Officer Training program and obtain BCOT Certification in Corrections within six months of hire date.
Final candidates must successfully pass the pre-employment process that includes a thorough background investigation of employment, educational history, driving history, criminal history, drug testing, POST Physical, psychological evaluation and credit history.
This position is a professional level position (at-will) and serves at the discretion of the Athens-Clarke County Manager. This position is designated as an emergency position that requires your attendance at work under all types of emergency conditions. Some examples of emergencies include inclement weather, utility failure, fire or other forced evacuations or as determined by the Manager.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open Until Filled with First Review of Applications to begin on Friday, December 5, 2014.
APPLY: Please do not send resumes in lieu of a completed application.
Application information is available at www.athensclarkecounty.com/jobs.aspx or at the Human Resources Department, 375 Satula Avenue, Satula Governmental Building, Athens, GA 30601, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Forms for present Athens-Clarke County employees to request promotion are available in the Human Resources Department.
For full job description, click on the link below
Please forward application materials to the above physical address or to:
Lisa Ward, Human Resources Director
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER