Police Captain - Georgia Tech Police Department
Post Until: August 1, 2015
Job Number: 0171524
Job Purpose: Manage functions in one of the following areas: Administrative Services,
Investigations, Special Operations/Training, Special Events, or Patrol. Perform technical, investigative
and administrative work while directing assigned area. Plan, coordinate, assign, and supervise personnel within assigned area. Responsible for setting employee goals, assessing employee performance and providing feedback, and making pay recommendations.
· Supervise, direct and evaluate staff to the assigned division. Develop work schedules for staffing deployment.
· May formulate tentative budget information and requests, policies and regulations governing activities, submitting modification and approval.
· May direct hiring process and conduct background investigations on all sworn police positions, assuring that each sworn position meets the requirements for POST certification.
· May plan, coordinate and implement training sessions for department staff and faculty/staff.
· May formulate, provide and implement effective strategies for reducing crime. Conduct
internal investigations into allegations of misconduct and/or criminal activities files against
Police Department employees.
· Provide that all reports and correspondence are complete and accurate for final approval; plan, direct and participate in the preparation and maintenance of a variety of records and reports. May assist GTPD Emergency Preparedness Division in GT-CERT and certificate training programs.
· May manage the development and implementation of traffic/crowd control for special events.
· May plan and coordinate department weapons re-qualification.
· Research, analyze, and evaluate best practices, new technology, new equipment, and new tactics.
· Perform other related duties as assigned.
· Education: High School/GED or Vocational School Diploma or an equivalent combination of education and experience
· Work Experience: Eight years sworn law enforcement experience,
· Certifications: DOD security clearance; Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) certification; may include POST Instructor's and Firearm
· Skills: This job requires sound working knowledge in firearms operation and maintenance;
excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communications skills, advanced
supervisory/management skills; ability to demonstrate and exercise quick independent and sound judgment, and display initiative in applying work methods. Also requires a thorough
knowledge of the civil and criminal codes of the state of Georgia and of legal terminology and court procedures, laws of arrest, evidence and criminal procedure
· Preferred Education: Technical Diploma, Associate Degree, or two years college course
work or Bachelor's degree
· Preferred Work Experience: Eight years sworn law enforcement experience in a university environment
· Preferred Certifications: Advanced certification and training hours to exceed 1000 hours
· Preferred Skills: Knowledge of Institute rules and regulations are preferred.
Additional Information: Work environment may involve exposure to potentially dangerous materials and situations that require following extensive safety precautions.
Impact & Influence: This position will interact on a consistent basis with: senior level police leadership, officers and staff; GT employees, students and visitors. This position typically will advise and counsel: senior level police leadership, officers and staff; GT employees, students and visitors. This position will supervise: police officers, sergeants, lieutenants and staff within assigned area.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Georgia Tech is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Consistent with its obligations under federal law, each company that is a federal contractor or subcontractor is committed to taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, disabled individuals and veterans.
Apply to: www.careers.gatech.edu