The City of Thomson, Georgia is now accepting applications for Chief of Police. Thomson is located in McDuffie County, 35 miles west of Augusta Ga. Though currently stable with regard to economic growth and population, signs of future growth are in place as the Central Savannah River Area grows and spreads outward from Augusta Richmond County.
The City of Thomson work force consists of 100 employees, responsible for providing services associated with water, sewer, natural gas, solid waste collection, as well as the public safety functions of Fire and Police Protection. The annual budget for all City operations is just under $20,000,000,
The Police Chief is responsible for directing the operations of the Thomson Police Department, with a staff of 15. Required of the Chief is to manage and oversee all functions of the department. A few examples of these responsibilities are administration of policies and procedures, personnel decision-making, and preparing the annual departmental budget. The Police Chief must be well trained in current law enforcement techniques…as an example, community policing…and have the ability to put these skills and techniques into action. The ability to establish trust in the community is a key characteristic of the person the City is seeking for this job. The Police Chief works closely with the Mayor and Council and reports directly to the City Administrator. The successful candidate must be energetic, community–minded, and be willing to be a part of the diverse leadership in the community.
Other important qualifications include:
- A Bachelor's Degree is required in a course of study related to this occupational field; A Master’s Degree is preferred; along with at least five years of experience in upper level police management; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Completion of any recognized law enforcement executive development program is preferred. Some examples of acceptable programs are the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) National Academy, FBI Law Enforcement Executive Development Seminar (LEEDS), the Georgia Law Enforcement Command College, or the Southern Police Institute.
- In addition, any comparable specialized police leadership and management training in ethics and integrity, emergency management, cultural and generational diversity, problem solving and community policing will be considered as a plus.
- Certified as a Georgia Chief of Police by the Georgia Peace Officers Standards Training (P.O.S.T.). Must have equivalent certification if currently working in another state and the certification must be transferrable to Georgia.
- Must possess a valid driver's license.
Salary for this position will be determined by experience and is expected to fall within the range of $63,000 - $88,000 with a benefits package including health, retirement plan, and paid time off. Relocation expenses will be negotiable. Applications and job descriptions are available on the 2nd floor of the City-County Administration Building located at 210 Railroad Street, Thomson, GA during the hours of 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. or online at www.thomson-mcduffie.com . All applications should include a current resume, salary history, and references.
Packages must be completed, signed and received no later than 5:00 p.m. on February 1, 2019. They can be mailed to the City at P.O. Box 1017, Thomson, 30824, or emailed to Shanda Grant at firstname.lastname@example.org. EOE