Welcome to Atlanta Metropolitan State College (AMSC), a University System of Georgia (USG) institution that is fully accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Atlanta Metropolitan State College has a rich history that is tied to the City of Atlanta for which it is appropriately named. The college offers high quality baccalaureate, associate and certificate programs that are challenging, comprehensive and very affordable. Atlanta Metropolitan State College currently serves about 3,000 students and is situated on a beautifully landscaped Southwest Atlanta campus; which is located ten minutes south of downtown Atlanta and fifteen minutes north of Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport.
Reporting to the Vice President for Fiscal Affairs, the Director of Public Safety and Chief of Police provides strong leadership to ensure the Department of Public Safety meets its goal of providing faculty, staff, students and campus visitors with the most community focused, efficient and effective police services. The Director of Public Safety and Chief of Police oversees all aspects of campus safety to include monitoring of security systems, protection of life and property, and enforcement of law and order.
- Plans, organizes and directs security to include developing and implementing operational procedures to ensure safety and security objectives are met
- Oversees the daily duties and assignments of Public Safety staff. Ensures adequate coverage by scheduling staff according to events and campus needs
- Works closely with all personnel to achieve optimum performance and professional standards
- Conducts annual performance evaluations and makes recommendations that would result in improvements and overall efficiency
- Ensures thorough records are maintained of violations of policy, law or regulation to facilitate an accurate data presentation within the annual campus crime report
- Monitors and regulates traffic around the college
- Complies with all Federal and State reporting requirements
- Investigates and reports campus crimes to the proper authorities
- Ensures that the campus is locked and unlocked daily
- Monitors cleanliness and mechanical function of public safety vehicles and ensures upkeep and service as necessary
- Establishes and enforces uniform and appearance standards for public safety officers and security staff
- Plans, conducts, and documents emergency drills and maintains clear, thorough and up-to-date logs and records to meet regulatory agency requirements
- Maintains a comprehensive master key inventory and oversees the issue and control of identification card, key card and all keys for all campus facilities
- Provides emergency first-aid/CPR and coordinates paramedic interventions
- Enforces parking regulations and processes campus parking registrations
- Manages the lost and found program
- Chairs the Campus Safety Committee and regularly reviews emergency plans and makes recommendations for changes and improvements
- Plans and implements in-service training programs for the department
- Serves as a liaison to local, state, federal law enforcement agencies concerning safety, security or law enforcement issues
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice or related field from regionally accredited institution
- Must possess State Law Enforcement certification and first-aid/CPR certification.
- Significant experience in higher education public safety or police administration
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Atlanta Metropolitan State College is an equal employment opportunity employer. Atlanta Metropolitan State College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age or military/veteran status.