The Douglas County School System is currently searching for a Chief of Police to oversee the School District Police Department to ensure the safety and security of students, staff and visitors to all locations.
- Demonstrates prompt and regular attendance.
- Plans, organizes, staffs, direct, coordinates, reports and budgets for all aspects of department operations.
- Leads, develops and implements a comprehensive program to secure the safety and security of the District’s students, faculty, staff and visitors.
- Responds to public/parent concerns regarding safety and security and law enforcement issues.
- Makes recommendations concerning the purchase of equipment or supplies relating to District-wide safety and security needs.
- Serves as a liaison between the District and Local, State and Federal Emergency response units/personnel.
- Reviews current State legislation to ensure compliance with State Law, reviews school safety plans and emergency management procedures best practices, evaluates and refines school security measures.
- Provides early warnings of adverse weather or other conditions affecting safe operations of schools.
- Remains available for call on a 24-hour per day basis for emergency response and works variable hours.
- Directs the training and evaluation of employees.
- Assume command of police-related incidents or work with public agencies to establish unified command for serious critical incidents on school property.
- Coordinate and Supervise security at all local Board Meeting and/or district events.
- Work with the Human Resources department to conduct fingerprinting and background check in accordance with applicable state laws for all employees and volunteers with the school system.
- Ensure that department hiring is in compliance with district guidelines and local, state and federal laws.
- Confirm that reports and data are completed, and information is submitted to the local, state and federal agencies in compliance with applicable laws, policies or guidelines.
- Inform Superintendent of security concerns and/or emergency situations.
- Performs other duties assigned by the Superintendent.
- Educational Level: Bachelor Degree in Law Enforcement Administration, Criminal Justice or a related field
- Certification/License: P.O.S.T Certified Peace Officer and CPR
- Physical Activities: Routine physical activities that are required to fulfill job responsibilities.
- Proficient Skills: Written and oral communication, planning, organization, investigation, safety and security assessment; supervision of law enforcement personnel; expertise and thorough knowledge of principles and practices of Public Administration and Constitutional Criminal Procedure and Criminal Code of Georgia
External Applicants: Apply online through TeachGeorgia (www.teachgeorgia.org). Submit a cover letter stating interest in this specific position, a standard resume and a list of three references with addresses and phone numbers, as soon as possible.
Current Employees: A letter of interest, resume and a list of three references with address and phone numbers, as soon as possible.
Mail or deliver your application materials to:
Jill Depriest, Executive Director of Human Resources
Douglas County School System
P. O. Box 1077,
Douglasville, GA 30133
NO FACSIMILES OR EMAIL APPLICATION MATERIALS ACCEPTED
The Douglas County School system does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, color, age, religion, national origin, or disability in its employment procedure.