Dahlonega – Police Chief (City Marshal)
The City of Dahlonega is one of Georgia's most historic and visited small communities. Our mountain setting is home to the University of North Georgia, which is one of only six senior military colleges in the country. The City coordinates with the Lumpkin County Sheriff’s Office, Georgia State Patrol, University of North Georgia Police Department, and other agencies to provide the City with effective community- oriented crime prevention and law enforcement services in our popular family-oriented tourist, student and retiree community. Dahlonega seeks a key professional to lead and develop a high-functioning community-oriented program as the city grows. The city is now looking for motivated, exceptional talent to serve this vital role and take us even further.
The ideal candidate will be or have:
- A high school diploma or equivalent with college level course work or degree preferred.
- Georgia POST-certified with good service record and completion at next available offerings of the New Chief’s Training Course and the Executive Development Training Course administered by the Georgia Chief’s Association. Prior completion preferred.
- Five years of direct local law enforcement experience in a Georgia city police department is required. Ten or more years of various law enforcement duties and five or more years in a supervisory or management capacity is preferred. Candidates should be able to identify the number of officers they have recruited and mentored for which positions. Extensive law enforcement experience may substitute for Management or Chief experience. Familiarity with the IACP Smaller Agency Program is preferred.
- Certified in use of RADAR, LASER, for enforcement of traffic laws, or quickly able to become so based on past experience. May also write tickets for DUI, expired tags, etc., perform process serving, and issue subpoenas for violations of the municipal code (zoning, building, etc.).
- Experienced with coordinating with multiple law enforcement agencies to assure seamless coverage of a small but growing community’s day-to-day and long-range law enforcement needs. Dahlonega supplements law enforcement services provided by the Lumpkin County Sheriff’s Office, Georgia State Patrol and University of North Georgia Police Department.
- Experience working as part of a collaborative team of department heads, supporting aims of an elected body to serve the public while interacting with governmental agencies, community partners, business interests, the press, public, etc.
- Experience with law enforcement grant writing and/or administration
- Experience developing and managing a growing budget, administering policies, and mentoring staff while leading others in law and code enforcement and coordinating with other City departments. Experience with the GACP certification process is preferred.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings, occasional meetings (Municipal Court, City Council) and weekends as needed to meet the needs of the community
- Success as a self-starter, self-motivated and as a problem solver with good people skills
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with media and public relations
Applications are available at City Hall Monday-Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM and on the city website at: www.dahlonega.gov.
Resumes and applications can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, who can also provide the detailed Position Description. Interested parties may also submit resume and cover letter with salary history to:
Human Resources, Tammy Bruce,
465 Riley Road
Dahlonega, GA 30533.
The position is open until filled. If interested, act soon!
For further information about activities in Dahlonega, please visit www.dahlonegadda.org,