Savannah State University established in 1890, is the first public historically black college or university in the State of Georgia and the first institution of higher learning in the City of Savannah. The university's students select majors from four colleges — Business Administration, Education, Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, and Sciences and Technology. The campus is by far the most picturesque in the State of Georgia. The moss-laden sweeping oak trees, expansive marsh, and historic architecture create a resplendent yet tranquil atmosphere. Beneath the beauty and splendor is a vibrant residential campus bursting at the seams with the vim and vigor of quality collegiate life: relevant academic majors, engaging lectures, cutting-edge research, quality student-faculty engagement, and a nurturing environment.
Under limited supervision, this position is responsible for assisting in the operational duties of the day-to-day operations of the Savannah State University Police Department. The Commander is directly responsible for the work performance of all Sergeants, Police Officer III (Corporals), Detectives, Patrol Officers, Communication Officers, and Security Officers. The Police Commander is certified by the State of Georgia Peace Officers Standards and Training (POST) council to handle all aspects of emergency and non-emergency calls.
- Monitors and keeps the Assistant Chief of Police informed on all activities and incidents on campus.
- Assist the Emergency Management Coordinator with conducting all emergency drills and training in all of the buildings
- Manage patrol shifts to ensure incident reports are completed
- Supervises shifts when the supervisor is out
- Coordinates security and law enforcement personnel for special events
- Oversees and assists with all investigations, crimes scene, warrants, and arrests
- Performs administrative duties to include but not limited to employee evaluations, disciplinary actions, roll call, and monthly reports
- Responds to complaints, provide direction to the officers on scene and evaluate decisions
- Coordination of CLERY Act Compliance
- Reviews, approves and corrects daily reports
- Disseminates information to officers and staff
- Identifies and facilitates training for officers
- Attends meetings and training
- Stay up-to-date on current training trends and case law
- Assist with quartermaster duties and assign equipment and uniforms to all police department personnel
- Acts as the evidence custodian ensuring the university police department is in compliance with state law
- Speaks at student organizations and orientation workshops
- Assist in managing police communication operations and manage communications officers
- Serve as the police department liaison for training and coordinate firearms training and provides legal updates regarding the use of force
- Conduct Internal Affairs Investigations as directed by Chief of Police or his/her designee
- Must maintain department conditionality at all times
- May be required to perform job-related duties other than those specifically delineated in this position
- Act as the Chief of Police in the absence of Senior Leadership
- Responds to any and all emergency situations
- Must be available for recall in emergency situations
- Associate Degree or High School Diploma/GED and seven (7) years of management or supervisory experience in law enforcement management operations
- Seven (7) years of law enforcement experience, INCLUDING five years of management or supervisory experience in law enforcement management operations
- Georgia POST Certified Police Officer
- Effective written and oral communication
- Experience using computer software (ex. Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, Excel, etc.)
- Must possess a valid driver’s license upon hire and maintain throughout the length of employment
- Must be able to respond to emergency calls within sixty minutes of notification
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Field Training Officer Certified
- Georgia P.O.S.T Certified General instructor
- Georgia P.O.S.T Firearms Instructor
- ALERRT Training
- Active Shooter Training
- Experience as a Criminal Investigator
- Experience as a K-9 handler
$50,000 per year with competitive benefits
For technical support, please call OneUSG Connect Support at (877) 251.2644, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Conditions of Employment
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with Savannah State University, as determined by Savannah State University, its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials, and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test. Offers are made expressly subject to the applicable federal and state laws, to the statutes, rules, and regulations of this institution, and to the Bylaws and Policies of the Board of Regents (BOR) of the University System of Georgia (USG), which are available for your inspection upon request.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Savannah State University is an equal employment, equal access, and equal educational opportunity and affirmative action institution. It is the policy of our institution to recruit, hire, train, promote and educate persons without regard to race, color, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or veteran status as required by applicable state and federal laws (including Title VI, Title VII, Title IX, Sections 503, and 504, AREA, ADA, E.O. 11246, and Rev. Proc. 75-50). Savannah State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Institution. For questions or more detailed information regarding this policy please contact the Savannah State University, Office of Human Resources at email@example.com. Individuals requiring disability-related accommodations for participation in any event or to obtain print materials in an alternative format, please contact the Office of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.