Individual Active & Professional Membership Fees are on a calendar year basis (January 1st – December 31st) and cost $100 if paid before or on January 31st. A $25 late fee is incurred for payments after January 31st.
- Any full-time certified law enforcement peace officer, as defined by Georgia Code and/or POST Rules, engaging in the management of local, state, or federal law enforcement agency in the State of Georgia. This shall also include any law enforcement agency as defined by Title 35 of the Official Code of Georgia, and shall also include the chief executive or head of any campus law enforcement department of any public or private university in Georgia having the authority to enforce the criminal or traffic laws through the power of arrest and whose duties include the preservation of public order, the protection of life and property, and the prevention, detection, or investigation of crime, provided that said chief executive or department head is a Peace Officer certified by the Georgia Peace Officers Standards and Training Council.
- Elected officials who are chief executives of law enforcement agencies may be active members but will not be eligible to hold office in the Association.
- Each agency will be entitled to only one voting member.
- Active Members generally consist of the titles and/or ranks of Captain and above.
- Apply for Membership Online
- Professional membership shall be available to any active or former police officer from a federal, state, or local law enforcement agency, lawyers, judges, law enforcement instructors, elected and appointed government officials, and other individuals who promote the advancement of law enforcement in their official positions.
- Private security executives and individuals that interface with the operations of law enforcement through the private sector are also eligible for professional membership.
- Professional Members generally consist of the titles and/or ranks of Lieutenant and below.
- Professional members will not be eligible to hold an office or vote on any matters.
- Apply for Membership Online
Life Membership status does not incur any membership fee.
- To be qualified for Life Membership in the Association, a member must have retired from full-time law enforcement duty and either:
- be a Life Member as of July 26, 2005; or
- have twenty (20) years-experience in law enforcement, of which ten (10) years must have been spent as a dues-paying chief law enforcement officer of the Association, in good standing.
- Honorable service in any branch of the United States Armed Forces shall be counted toward the “twenty (20) years of experience” provision of this requirement.
- The terminology defining “Chief Law Enforcement Officer” shall be generally consistent with the definition set forth under OCGA 35-8-2-4, the Peace Officers Standards and Training Act (POST Act); however, county sheriffs who have been Active members of this Association shall be deemed chief law enforcement officers for the purpose of this section, to wit:
- “Department head” means the chief executive or head of a state department or agency, a county, a municipality, or a railroad who is a peace officer and whose responsibilities include the supervision and assignment of one or more employees or the performance of administrative and managerial duties of a police agency or law enforcement unit. Such term does not include the Attorney General, the director of the Georgia Drugs and Narcotics Agency, a district attorney, a solicitor general, a county or municipal fire chief, or peace officers employed exclusively as investigators of any such offices who do not exercise any law enforcement supervisory or managerial duties. The provisions of this paragraph shall not apply to any sheriff or to any head of any law enforcement unit within the office of sheriff. (This last sentence is purposely eliminated from this POST Act definition as required under section 2 of this Article.)
- Life Membership shall NOT be granted to persons under investigation by POST, or who have received discipline by POST immediately prior to their request for Life Membership in the form of being revoked, or suspended for conduct which resulted in, or could have been, the main reason that they elected to retire.
- The Executive Board shall reserve the right to recommend a waiver of time requirements for Life Membership in cases deemed to be unique by the Board. Approval shall require unanimous endorsement by the Executive Board and shall be voted on by the Board.
- If a Life Member returns to duty as a full-time law enforcement Chief Executive, as defined in this Constitution and By-Laws, his/her status shall revert to that of an Active Member, and the member shall be required to pay the same dues as paid by an Active Member. If such a member should subsequently leave duty as an Active Member, their status shall automatically revert to that of a Life Member.
- Life Members shall have the same right to vote as Active Members but shall not be eligible to hold elective office.
Corporate Membership Fees are on a calendar year basis (January 1st – December 31st) and cost $250 if paid before or on January 31st. A $25 late fee is incurred for payments after January 31st.
- Corporate membership shall be available to any person representing a business, firm, or corporation engaged in selling products or services to the members of the Association. This shall also include attorneys.
- Corporate members will not be eligible to hold an office or vote on any matters.
- Apply for Membership Online
Chaplain Membership status does not incur any membership fee.
- Chaplain membership shall be available to any person who is serving in the capacity as a chaplain for a law enforcement agency. The chief law enforcement officer of the agency will submit a letter with the application attesting that the person is serving as their chaplain.
- Chaplain membership will not have the ability to vote on any matters or serve as an officer in the Association.
- Chaplain membership will be terminated once the member no longer serves as a law enforcement chaplain.
- Chaplain Membership Form